We are all well aware of the health benefits of breastfeeding this is the reason it is considered as liquid gold for babies. Breastfeeding is the best choice for both baby and mother but breastfeeding in public is frowned upon. Some countries even considered breastfeeding illegal and is restricted in several counties.
People often give disgusting stares or roll their eyes and are annoyed when they see a mother breastfeeding her little one in public. When a baby is hungry – she’s hungry!!! She doesn’t know whether mom is outside the house! Breastfeeding on demand is always best for babies and there really is no “convenient” time or place to nurse the baby.
Nursing infants is easier, as they usually don’t get distracted while taking the feed but breastfeeding slightly older toddlers is little difficult as they get easily distracted. Mothers are quickly judged for breastfeeding in public, but people fail to understand that it is a natural process and they should be supportive and encourage new mothers to feed in public.
You May Also Like: Top 10 Maternity Dresses For Indian Women
At times people irresponsibility ask the new mothers the feed the little one in public toilet and store rooms. Would you like to have your meals at such places??!!? The nursing moms are usually asked for a cover-up or leave the place. In fact there are some countries & forums where breastfeeding in public is considered as illegal.
- Atlanta: In 2011 Atlanta issued a new law that banned public breastfeeding for children over the age of 2 – saying that it is publicly indecent.
- Russia: Breastfeeding in Russia has always been socially unacceptable – and even taboo. As recent as 2013, authorities arrested the director of a pre-natal health center who was encouraging breastfeeding and natural births. She was accused of being a “cult” leader and charged with 2 counts of felony and faced up to 7 years in prison.
- Ukraine: Following in Russia’s footsteps, in this country too breastfeeding is a foreign concept and is not socially unacceptable by everyone.
- Facebook: Yes, with the daily number of people who log in on Facebook – it really has the numbers to rival the population of many countries. In 2008, mommies cried outrage when photos of them breastfeeding their babies were deleted by Facebook. Facebook claimed violation of community policies and indecent exposure – say whatttt!!!
- United States: Can you believe it? Supposedly the most advanced country on the planet still has two States that do not protect a woman’s right to breastfeed in public. These are West Virginia and Idaho!!! A woman who chooses to nurse in public in these states, can get arrested for – you guessed it – public indecency!!
Read More: Baby Shower Dresses
In our own country, India – there are no legal statutes for breastfeeding but nursing publicly is often considered as a taboo. Here are some options to make breastfeeding in public easy for both mother and baby:
#1. Nursing Cover
Morph maternity has a lovely collection of nursing covers which offers total privacy, comfort and style. You can also use these nursing covers as a poncho to keep warm during the winters. It can be used as a stylish stole, to cover your belling and also be used to swaddle the little one.
Choose from a beautiful collection of pull on leak proof nursing bras. These bras have crossover necklines for easy breastfeeding. The bra is totally leak proof and comes with soft shoulder straps. The fabric is super breathable and perfect for both pregnant women and nursing mothers.
#3. Feeding Tops
Here are some excellent collections of feeding tops which comes with the vertical front nursing option to comfortably feed the little one. The tops are available in beautiful shades and pattern which can be paired with stylish trousers or jeans.
#4. Nursing Choli
Nursing Choli is perfect to pair up with saree or lehenga. It comes with a short vertical zipper for easy nursing the baby.
Often breastfeeding in public is viewed as an unacceptable behaviour but long-term breastfeeding has its own health benefits. Moms, know your rights that it is totally perfectly legal to feed in public. So don’t stay cooped up in the house! Go on step out!!