It has been considered widely that a woman should become a mother before she turns 30 years of age. Now a days, due to women getting into the work force and being bread winners for their families along with their husbands, it’s not uncommon to see a pregnancy over 35. In this article we will bring to you the risks of late pregnancy and tips to have a safe and healthy one.
Risks With Pregnancy Over 35
Most doctors advise women to have children while their in their 20s and early 30s due to the higher risks in :
- Increased incidents of infertility & miscarriage.
- Premature delivery & stillbirths.
- Increased incidents of gestational diabetes.
- Increased possibility of C-section.
- High blood pressure during pregnancy.
- Higher risk of chromosomal abnormalities like down’s syndrome in babies.
Tips To Have A Healthy Pregnancy
So what can you do? If you are over 35 years, you should monitor your reproductive health to ensure the best possible condition for your pregnancy. Here are a few tips for you
- If you’re planning to become pregnant, have a pre-pregnancy checkup with your doctor.
- Avoid unnecessary stress as they affect your hormonal balance.
- Quit smoking & reduce, as healthy moms make healthy babies. You can read about pregnancy dos and donts here.
- Exercise regularly & eat healthy.
- Manage any existing conditions like high BP or diabetes. Make sure your doctor knows you’ll be trying to conceive.
- Talk to your doctor and get a genetic counselling/screening done.
You can read about the precautions to take during pregnancy here.
The Benefits of Later-Age Motherhood
Although later-age pregnancy can put you at higher risk of complications, there are positive aspects.
- As a potential older mother, you will be more mature & realistic to the idea of having a baby.
- It is also likely that you have given enough thought to the changes a new baby will bring to your life, so you’ll be better prepared to face the challenges ahead.
- Having financial control and stability is essential to better parenting. Babies not a cheap affair after all :).
This article is brought to you by Morph Maternity, a maternity clothing brand from India that focuses on keeping pregnant moms & breastfeeding moms safe and fashionable.
We wish all MOM a Happy & Safe Pregnancy !