A pregnant woman is generally more vulnerable to infections as her immune system is under stress due to the pregnancy. Amid the coronavirus pandemic, it is very important that expecting mothers and new mothers take extra precaution.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered virus from the family of viruses called coronavirus. It first started in a wet market in Wuhan, China and the first case was reported in December 2019. Within a few months, this virus spread on a global scale affecting most countries and becoming a global pandemic.
Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus experience mild to moderate respiratory illness. Older people, pregnant women and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
The best way to prevent it is be well informed about the virus and how it spreads. You can protect yourself and others by washing your hands or using an alcohol based rub frequently and not touching your face.
The virus primarily spreads through droplets of saliva from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you always wear a face mask when interacting with others.
Steps to take care if one is pregnant amid coronavirus pandemic:
Here are some actions you can take to prevent getting infected during pregnancy. These steps are laid out by the World Health Organization.
- Wash your hands frequently. Hand hygiene can really protect you from Covid-19 exposure.
- Practice social distancing. Always maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others when you are in a public place. Avoid contact with others as much as possible.
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze, throw the tissue in the dustbin. Wash your hands right after.
- Do not ignore any respiratory problems. If you develop a cough, feel uncomfortable breathing or have a fever, do not ignore. Call your doctor and discuss your symptoms. It is better to act fast than last.
- Avoid going out as much as possible and avoid physical interaction with people. Get help to run chores. If you have a job, inform your employer of your pregnancy and choose Work From Home. Even if you must step up, follow social distancing and always wear a mask and avoid touching surfaces.
- As much as possible, consider virtual consultations to your gynaecologist to reduce spending time in the doctor’s waiting room or in the hospital.
- Avoid stress. Eat healthy and sleep well. Pick up the phone and call your friends and family to stay in good spirits. All these are immunity boosters that will help you stay safe.
We at Morph Maternity, wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. You can do all your maternity & nursing wear shopping from the comfort of your home at MorphMaternity.com.
Stay Home ! Stay Safe !